Monday, August 4, 2008

Thumb sucking

This weekend Jillian discovered her feet and how to play with them. She also started sucking her thumb. She has sucked on her hands since birth and I wondered if she might start sucking her thumb. Well it has happened. I am not sure that it will continue but she seems pretty hooked. I need every one's opinion. Should I let her do it or should I stop her and give her a binky since thumb sucking is a much harder habit to break? Thank you! I would have put a pic. on here of her doing it but my camera is still packed somewhere. It is so so cute...

2 comments:

Kim said...

No thumb suckers in our family so I don't have any advice from experience. I do like the idea of her always having her thumb if she needs to comfort herself. You never know it might be easy to wean her from it. I thought weaning M. from her "boppy" would be hard, but it was pretty easy. I can't wait to see her in action!

Rachel said...

My brother and I sucked our fingers until we were nine and seven so my mother would probably advise against it :) I forced Ethan to take a pacifier everytime his hand made its way to his mouth. He was broken of the pacifier at 9mo, which I wouldn't have done as early but that's an entirely different story. Anyway he never picked up thumb sucking to my relief. Remember, you can always take away the pacifier but you can't cut off their hands or watch them every second of the day and night to tell them to stop. I'll get off my soapbox now :) Just do what your mother instincts tell you are best for Jill.